Connect with us

Anglais

Province’s push for private funding, additional stops puts Scarborough subway at risk of delays

admin

Published

on


The Ontario government intends to rely on the private sector to help fill a more than $1-billion funding gap in its plan to build a three-stop Scarborough subway — a move that marks another twist for a controversial transit project and raises the possibility of construction delays that could leave Scarborough residents stuck taking the bus.

Transportation Minister Jeff Yurek revealed last week the province intends to enlist the private sector to help offset the cost of the more expensive three-stop plan, by striking deals that would offer developers public land or air rights above station sites in exchange for helping fund the transit infrastructure.

The TTC is trying to prolong the lifespan of the Scarborough RT, which was first build in 1985.
The TTC is trying to prolong the lifespan of the Scarborough RT, which was first build in 1985.  (Rene Johnston Toronto Star / Toronto Star)

The plan currently on the city’s books is to extend Line 2 (Bloor-Danforth) to the Scarborough City Centre, which would cost an estimated $3.35 billion. Pending final approval, it’s projected to start construction next year with a completion date of 2026.

Ontario’s Progressive Conservatives, who took power in June and have promised to table legislation to take ownership of the subway system from the city, wants to scrap the one-stop plan and build a three-stop version that would extend past the Scarborough Town Centre to Sheppard Ave. East, and have a stop at Lawrence Ave.

An earlier estimate for the city of a three-stop extension that was based on very little design work pegged the cost at $4.6 billion. That estimate was contingent on construction approval being given by council in 2016.

“The developer would pick up the cost of those stations … and it will not be a cost to the taxpayer,” Yurek told the Globe and Mail.

The market-driven approach to building Toronto transit projects has been floated before with little success. But in an email Monday, the minister’s spokesperson said under their government it will work.

“Unlike the last government … we have created an environment where private business can confidently invest in infrastructure projects,” said Mike Winterburn, Yurek’s director of communications.

As an example, he cited a potential agreement Metrolinx announced last fall that would see a developer partner with the transit agency to overhaul the Mimico GO Transit station.

“In future, more agreements will be reached to improve our transportation infrastructure while protecting taxpayers,” Winterburn said.

In November, Metrolinx, which is the most likely agency to take oversee the TTC subway if it’s uploaded to the province, announced it intends to use the market-driven strategy to fund future transit projects.

At the time it conceded that strategy would expose projects to risks associated with the fluctuating real estate market, which could delay transit construction. The agency said the approach could also speed up projects in some cases.

Any delay to opening the Scarborough subway extension could have major implications for transit riders who currently rely on the Scarborough RT, which was built in 1985 and is reaching the end of its service life.

The TTC is currently working to extend the life of critical components of the SRT train cars by at least another 10 years to keep the line running. Details of that plan remain secret despite formal requests from the Star. What information has been released suggest it’s possible to extend the operations of the SRT into 2026 — when the one-stop subway was earlier scheduled to be complete — but any safe operation beyond that date is in question.

If the SRT is shut down before a replacement is built, it could result in all commuters east of Victoria Park Ave. being stuck on the bus for an unknown period of time.

Councillor Josh Matlow, who has chiefly advocated for a network of LRTs in Scarborough, said pushing for a more-expensive subway will only cause more setbacks to delivering transit.

“(Premier) Doug Ford has always been more interested in merely promising subway stations than actually building rapid transit. The absurd suggestion that the private sector is going to cover a billion-dollar shortfall will only further delay delivering results,” Matlow said.

“We need to move forward now with an already approved and funded LRT network for Scarborough to ensure residents aren’t left on the bus.”

Ontario Transportation Minister Jeff Yurek signalled his Progressive Conservative government wants to enlist private funds to pay for a three-stop Scarborough subway extension.
Ontario Transportation Minister Jeff Yurek signalled his Progressive Conservative government wants to enlist private funds to pay for a three-stop Scarborough subway extension.  (Andrew Francis Wallace/Toronto Star File)

The proposed intervention from Yurek, who has cited council delays to transit projects as a main reason the province should take ownership of the subway system, comes as councillors were months away from a crucial vote on whether to proceed with the one-stop subway extension.

In April, the TTC plans to release a report, which had previously been expected this month, on the project reaching the 30 per cent design mark, including an updated cost estimate and construction schedule. Councillors would vote as early as April on whether to send the subway project to procurement.

By contrast, the three-stop plan the city had earlier considered was at less than 5 per cent design when it was abandoned in favour of the one-stop plan.

TTC spokesperson Stuart Green said he couldn’t speculate on how much of the design work the agency has done on the one-stop extension could be repurposed for a three-stop version.

Also, a 2016 business case prepared by city and TTC staff said stations on the three-stop version “were found to be much more complex” than “typical” stations. Due to difficult topography, the station at Lawrence East would have to be built at almost twice the depth as regular stations.

The stations would also require larger than normal bus terminals to accommodate the high number of Scarborough routes being diverted to feed the subway extension.

Winterburn said the government is “confident that private sector support will secure funding and help ensure that construction begins sooner.”

But he said in cases where partnering with private developers is “not applicable,” the province “can still explore traditional funding models for construction.”

Councillor Michael Thompson, whose Scarborough Centre ward would include part of the proposed subway extension, said he welcomed Yurek’s proposal to add stations by striking deals with developers. He said he has heard from residents in the run-up to October’s municipal election that they don’t want to stick with the one-stop plan.

“I would say a good 90 per cent of people I spoke to felt there was a need for additional stations to be included in the Bloor-Danforth expansion into Scarborough,” he said.

“Recognizing that the funding is always a challenge, if the province and the minister has additional ideas and so on, I think that’s something we should applaud.”

A spokesperson for Mayor John Tory — who has pushed a three-stop and then the one-stop subway plan — did not respond to specific questions from the Star about the province’s new plan.

“Mayor Tory is committed to building transit — that’s what he was elected and re-elected to do by Toronto voters,” a statement read.

This is not the first time the Fords have pitched to pay for a controversial, costly subway project by calling for private sector investment.

In 2012, city staff and an expert panel panned a plan by then mayor Rob Ford to have developers finance an extension of the Sheppard subway — a plan for which no private investors actually signed up.

Ben Spurr is a Toronto-based reporter covering transportation. Reach him by email at bspurr@thestar.ca or follow him on Twitter: @BenSpurr

Jennifer Pagliaro is a Toronto-based reporter covering city politics. Follow her on Twitter: @jpags



Source link

قالب وردپرس

Anglais

A stunning Water Lantern Festival is coming to Montreal

admin

Published

on

By

What might just be the most magical night ever is coming up for Montreal this year.

The Water Lantern Festival has announced that it will be gracing Mississauga with thousands of floating lanterns later this year, as part of a celebration that spans the entire world.

According to the festival’s official website, the event is a celebration of life with proceeds going towards charities and non-profit organizations within the area.

“Water Lantern Festival brings together individuals from all ages, backgrounds, and walks of life to join in one emotional and memorable night. At the Water Lantern Festival, we cherish these moments and will do our best to help you have a memorable experience that you’ll never forget as you witness the beauty of thousands of lanterns reflecting upon the water,” the website states.

The festival takes place throughout multiple cities around the world, with the Canadian cities of Quebec, Regina, Vancouver, Hamilton, Calgary, Ottawa, Mississauga, and, of course, Montreal taking part.

For the Calgary event, a date has been confirmed and tickets are already rolling out. Montreal shan’t be far behind, and you can click the Notify Me tab on the event’s site to be kept in the loop.

Expect an evening filled with food trucks, music, lantern designing and finally, a magical launch of the lanterns into the water as the sun goes down.

For our pals over in Calgary, their event includes a floating lantern, a commemorative drawstring bag, a marker, and a wristband. Expect something similar, if not the same, when more details float through about Montreal’s event.

Continue Reading

Anglais

Euthanasia order on hold for Montreal dog that attacked children

admin

Published

on

By

A pit bull dog that attacked four children and two adults in August 2018 in Montreal North will not be euthanized in the immediate future.

The euthanasia order has been temporarily suspended pending the appeal of a Quebec Superior Court decision.

On Tuesday, Judge Lukasz Granosik rejected a request to halt the euthanasia order issued by the Montreal North borough, which declared the animal a “dangerous dog.”

The City of Montreal has not changed its mind. This is only a delay before it proceeds with euthanizing the dog, a source told the Canadian Press.

Shotta, the one-year-old dog, was in the care of its owner’s acquaintance in August 2018. The dog attacked four children and two adults, causing serious injuries in separate incidents on the same day.

After the attacks, the dog was taken from the home and entrusted to the SPCA.

WATCH: Dog found dead in Angrignon Park

The Road to Home Rescue Support, an American shelter, asked the court if it could take in the dog. Christa Frineau, the dog’s owner, had also asked that Shotta not be euthanized.

Granosik refused to grant the request.

—With files from Global’s Kalina Laframboise

Continue Reading

Anglais

9 Things To Do In Montreal This Friday, Saturday & Sunday

admin

Published

on

By

Today’s sunny skies have me itching to make weekend plans. I absolutely cannot wait to make the most of this warmer weather. This might be the time to inflate my bike tires and dust off my running shoes…

Whether you want to brush up on your cooking skills, let loose, or fill your stomach with amazing food, there’s an event out there for you. Read on for 9 fun things you can do with friends or a fling this weekend.

TL;DR Read on for 9 fun things you can do in Montreal this weekend.

Let Yourself Go At Dress Up

Where: 185 Avenue Van Horne, Montréal.

When: Friday, March 29, 9:00 p.m.

Continue Reading

Chat

Santé Et Nutrition4 jours ago

Une boisson frappée végétalienne pour tous les amateurs de desserts

Santé Et Nutrition4 jours ago

Cet été, ajoutez de la saveur à vos pâtes

Santé Et Nutrition4 jours ago

Une nouvelle technologie donne plus de libertés aux personnes atteintes de diabète

Santé Et Nutrition4 jours ago

Une nouvelle façon de percevoir le diabète de type 1

Santé Et Nutrition4 jours ago

Comment freiner la crise des opioïdes dans les petites villes

Styles De Vie4 jours ago

Les jeunes et les opioïdes : Ce que les parents doivent savoir

Styles De Vie4 jours ago

Prenez soin de vous cet été

Styles De Vie4 jours ago

Survivre à un voyage en famille

Styles De Vie4 jours ago

Magasiner pour un véhicule en 2019

Styles De Vie4 jours ago

5 bonnes raisons de louer un bateau de plaisance

Affaires2 mois ago

Le stress financier affecte-t-il votre santé physique et mentale ?

Affaires2 mois ago

Les plans de location avec option d’achat vous conviennent-ils?

Affaires2 mois ago

Utiliser votre auto comme garantie pour un prêt : ce qu’il faut savoir

Affaires2 mois ago

Les fraudes par carte de crédit sont de plus en plus fréquentes – quoi faire si vous en êtes victime

Affaires2 mois ago

Vous achetez une maison? Attention à la fraude hypothécaire

Affaires2 mois ago

Cinq arnaques susceptibles de tromper même les personnes les plus avisées – comment vous protéger

Affaires2 mois ago

Les inconvénients financiers d’être trop aimable

Affaires2 mois ago

Voici une astuce simple pour s’enrichir

Affaires2 mois ago

Faites fructifier vos placements en un clic

Affaires2 mois ago

Utiliser pour la première fois des services bancaires au Canada

Anglais11 mois ago

Body found after downtown Lethbridge apartment building fire, police investigating – Lethbridge

Styles De Vie12 mois ago

Salon du chocolat 2018: les 5 temps forts

Anglais10 mois ago

27 CP Rail cars derail near Lake Louise, Alta.

Anglais10 mois ago

Man facing eviction from family home on Toronto Islands gets reprieve — for now

Santé Et Nutrition12 mois ago

Gluten-Free Muffins

Santé Et Nutrition11 mois ago

We Try Kin Euphorics and How to REALLY Get the Glow | Healthyish

Anglais9 mois ago

This B.C. woman’s recipe is one of the most popular of all time — and the story behind it is bananas

Anglais8 mois ago

A photo taken on Toronto’s Corso Italia 49 years ago became a family legend. No one saw it — until now

Styles De Vie1 année ago

Renaud Capuçon, rédacteur en chef du Figaroscope

Mode10 mois ago

Paris : chez Cécile Roederer co-fondatrice de Smallable

Anglais11 mois ago

Ontario Tories argue Trudeau’s carbon plan is ‘unconstitutional’

Anglais1 année ago

Condo developer Thomas Liu — who collected millions but hasn’t built anything — loses court fight with Town of Ajax

Anglais8 mois ago

This couple shares a 335-square-foot micro condo on Queen St. — and loves it

Anglais11 mois ago

Trudeau government would reject Jason Kenney, taxpayers group in carbon tax court fight

Technologie8 mois ago

YouTube recommande de la pornographie juvénile, allègue un internaute

Anglais11 mois ago

100 years later, Montreal’s Black Watch regiment returns to Wallers, France

Anglais9 mois ago

Ontario’s Tories hope Ryan Gosling video will keep supporters from breaking up with the party

Anglais9 mois ago

Province’s push for private funding, additional stops puts Scarborough subway at risk of delays

Styles De Vie9 mois ago

Ford Ranger Raptor, le pick-up roule des mécaniques

Styles De Vie9 mois ago

quel avenir pour le Carré des Horlogers?

Trending