Connect with us

Anglais

Rape crisis centres say no progress after meeting with Attorney General Caroline Mulroney

admin

Published

on


Almost a year later, and they are no closer to getting an answer.

Despite a recent meeting with the attorney general, Ontario’s rape crisis centres say they have no idea if additional funding will come through — and they are now simply asking the government to provide them with a timeline of when they might find out.

As the centres “wait for information from the ministry, survivors of sexual violence, meanwhile, continue to wait for services,” said Nicole Pietsch, co-ordinator of the Ontario Coalition of Rape Crisis Centres, noting that yearly calls have shot up to more than 50,000 from 30,000 a decade ago.

The Feb. 6 meeting with Attorney General Caroline Mulroney and her staff “was disappointing — we feel we are in the same place we were last October, which was the last time we spoke to policy advisers,” Pietsch said.

Mulroney, she added, “offered appreciation for the important work folks in our sector are doing. But she didn’t give any new information; she didn’t have anything to share about a gender-based violence action plan.

Mulroney spokesperson Jesse Robichaud repeated an earlier statement on the issue, saying “our government is committed to providing victims, their families and witnesses of violent crimes with the supports and services they need, in the communities where they live.

“Our staff have met with the coalition and we will continue to engage with it on these important issues.”

Ontario’s English and French-language rape crisis centres had been counting on the 30 per cent increase over three years — announced by the previous Liberal government — which they now realize will likely not materialize for this fiscal year which ends next March.

Some still have the same staffing levels they did in the 1990s, and had been hoping to use the money to hire more front-line full-time and part-time staff, given the huge demand.

The Liberals had pledged $14.8 million over the three years as part of a gender-based violence strategy.

Even in Mulroney’s own York Simcoe riding, the sexual assault centre serving the entire York Region has not been able to keep up with demand given the area’s booming, diverse population.

“What we’ve been receiving from the ministry just hasn’t been enough for so long,” said Jacqueline Benn-John, executive director of the Women’s Support Network of York Region, where there is a wait-list of three to six months.

“We are the only rape crisis centre serving all of York Region,” said Benn-John, adding it took 2,129 crisis calls alone last year.

“The outreach is challenging in a region of our size, and there’s the added complexity of the regional diversity — geographically, there are very rural and urban areas, and we have parts with no bus service” which limits access to services.

The centre has been applying for provincial grants to help narrow the funding gap, and provide programs specifically for survivors of human trafficking or women who are in need of housing.

“I think it bothers every sexual assault centre that we haven’t received the funding,” Benn-John said. “And that’s because the need is there — the need has been there, and it has been demonstrated by research independently undertaken by the province.”

Pietsch said the meeting with Mulroney on Feb. 6 was supposed to be face-to-face, but inclement weather forced a conference call instead, one that also included representative from the French-language rape crisis organizations.

The coalition of 37 centres is hoping to speak to ministry representatives in the future to outline the incredible demand they are dealing with amid the #metoo and #timesup movements.

Increased awareness about sexual assault and consent has seen “so many people stepping forward, but we have received the level of funding to deal with the increase in referrals,” said Benn-John.

The rape crisis centres also want to be involved in any new plans to address violence against women.

“We’ve asked to meet again,” added Pietsch, “because we want to see some progress on this.”

MPP Suze Morrison, the NDP’s women’s issues critic and a sexual assault survivor, said the government is “forcing front-line workers to beg for funding that was already promised and allocated, and we’re less than two months away from the end of the fiscal year.”

The rape crisis centre serving the Muskoka area had been counting on $89,000 this fiscal year to hire more front-line counsellors to deal with three times the caseload — it currently has the same staffing levels as the 1990s.

The Toronto Rape Crisis Centre/Multicultural Women Against Rape had been allocated $159,000 to help deal with an 18-month wait list.

Counsellor deb singhhas said “services could be strengthened if this funding had been granted months ago.”

Last year, Community and Social Services Minister Lisa MacLeod announced $11.5 million for 400 agencies, including shelters.

Rape crisis centres fall under the attorney general, which has said the government is reviewing all spending as it works to bring down the deficit.

“We recognize that these organizations do important and valuable work in their communities, and this review will be an opportunity to align service levels with needs and better co-ordinate and deliver services in the most sustainable and effective way,” Mulroney’s office has said in the past.

Kristin Rushowy is a Toronto-based reporter covering Ontario politics. Follow her on Twitter: @krushowy



Source link

قالب وردپرس

Anglais

These US entities partnered with the Wuhan Institute of Virology — time for a criminal investigation?

admin

Published

on

By

(Natural News) The Wuhan Institute of Virology from which the Wuhan coronavirus (COVID-19) is believed to have “escaped” has a number of questionable partnerships that are worth looking into in light of the pandemic.

Most of them are universities, including the University of Alabama, the University of North Texas, and Harvard University. There is also the EcoHealth Alliance, the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and the National Wildlife Federation.

While the relationships between these entities and the Wuhan Institute of Virology may be completely innocent, there is no way to really say for sure without a proper investigation. And this is exactly what Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is calling for, as is the nation of Australia.

Pompeo and the folks down under, along with millions of Americans, would really like to know the true origins of the Wuhan coronavirus (COVID-19). An increasing number of people simply are not buying the narrative that the novel virus originated in bat soup at a Chinese wet market, and this even includes mainstream media outlets like Fox News.

The only way to really determine what was going on at the Wuhan Institute of Virology, and who else might have been involved. is to open the place up for an international investigation. But communist China is against this, of course, accusing Australia of “petty tricks” and collusion with the United States.

“Overnight, I saw comments from the Chinese Foreign Ministry talking about a course of activity with respect to Australia who had the temerity to ask for investigation,” Pompeo is quoted as saying in response to China’s aggression against a proposed investigation.

“Who in the world wouldn’t want an investigation of how this happened to the world?” he added.

As the U.S. aims to get back on track economically speaking, Pompeo believes that now is the time to hold communist China, the Wuhan Institute of Virology, and whoever else may have been involved accountable for unleashing this pandemic on the world.

“Not only American wealth, but the global economy’s devastation as a result of this virus,” Pompeo further stated. “There will be a time for this. We will get that timing right.”

Continue Reading

Anglais

New U.S. analysis finds that lab in Wuhan, China was “most likely” origin of coronavirus release

admin

Published

on

By

(Natural News) While American Leftists and most of the Democrat Party continue to serve as apologists for the Chinese Communist regime over its role in creating and then perpetuating the coronavirus pandemic, a new U.S. government analysis concludes that COVID-19 “most likely” escaped from a lab near Wuhan city.

The Washington Times reports that the analysis cataloged evidence linking the outbreak to the Wuhan lab and has found that other explanations for the origins of the virus are not as credible.

The paper reported:

The document, compiled from open sources and not a finished product, says there is no smoking gun to blame the virus on either the Wuhan Institute of Virology or the Wuhan branch of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, both located in the city where the first outbreaks were reported.

However, “there is circumstantial evidence to suggest such may be the case,” the paper says.

“All other possible places of the virus’ origin have been proven to be highly unlikely,” said the report, a copy of which was obtained by the Times.

ChiCom officials have claimed that the virus’ origin is unknown. However, Beijing initially stated that coronavirus came from animals at a “wet market” in Wuhan where exotic meats are butchered and sold in disgusting conditions.

Chinese officials claim that COVID-19 went from bats to animals sold in the market last year, then infected humans.

U.S. intelligence officials have increasingly dismissed that explanation, however, as attention has begun to focus on evidence suggesting that Chinese medical researchers were working with coronavirus in the country’s only Level 4 facility, which is in Wuhan.

U.S. Army Gen. Mark A. Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, has said that intelligence agencies are investigating whether the virus escaped from a lab or was the result of a naturally occurring outbreak, but that analysts have ruled out reports that COVID-19 was manmade.

‘The most logical place to investigate the virus origin has been completely sealed off’

“At this point, it’s inconclusive, although the weight of evidence seems to indicate natural,” the general said on April 14, “but we don’t know for certain.”

The analysis said that the wet market explanation does not ring true because the first human diagnosis of coronavirus was made in someone who had no connection to the wet market in question. And according to Chinese reports, no bats were sold at that particular market.

At the same time, several questionable actions and a growing paper trail provide clues that the virus actually escaped from a lab, even as China begins to clamp down on those information streams.

Continue Reading

Anglais

The biggest media lies about the coronavirus: Origins, treatments and vaccines

admin

Published

on

By

(Natural News) If there is one thing that most everyone can agree on concerning the Wuhan coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, it is the fact that there is no shortage of conflicting information out there about the nature of it. And the mainstream media is certainly doing its part to steer the narrative as part of a larger agenda, using plenty of misinformation along the way.

The following are among the most commonly parroted lies about the Wuhan coronavirus (COVID-19) that aim to distort the facts and deceive you into believing falsehoods about this pandemic:

Media LIE: The virus is not man-made

From the very beginning of this thing, the official narrative was that the Wuhan coronavirus (COVID-19) came from a Chinese wet market where bats and other “exotic” animals are sold as meat. But the world later learned that it actually more than likely “escaped” from the Wuhan Institute of Virology.

The mainstream media and social media platforms went nuts trying to censor this information and even called it  “fake news.” But eventually it became undeniable that bat soup was not responsible for spreading the Wuhan coronavirus (COVID-19) around Wuhan and eventually to the rest of the world – hence why we continue to call it the Wuhan coronavirus rather than just COVID-19.

We have even seen attempts by the media machine at making the Wuhan coronavirus (COVID-19) a racial issue because there are supposedly more “people of color” coming down with it than people with fair skin, which further detracts attention away from the source of this virus.

Media LIE: Hydroxychloroquine is extremely dangerous and doesn’t work

The minute that President Donald Trump announced that hydroxychloroquine may be an effective, and very inexpensive, remedy for the Wuhan coronavirus (COVID-19), the mainstream media immediately began decrying this claim as fake news, even though Anthony Fauci himself praised hydroxychloroquine back in 2013 under Barack Obama as being some type of “miracle cure” for SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome).

There have even been studies conducted that were designed to intentionally smear the drug as both ineffective and dangerous, though one in particular purposely left out zinc, which appears to be a critical co-factor in supporting the effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine – in other words, politics as usual.

Media LIE: Only a vaccine can save us from coronavirus

Many politicians and public health officials are parroting the lie that the only way America can come out of lockdown and go back to “normal” is to get vaccinated with some future vaccine for the Wuhan coronavirus (COVID-19) that does not even yet exist. A vaccine, we are repeatedly told, is the only thing, or perhaps some new “blockbuster” antiviral drug, that can cure the world of this scourge and make everything happy and wonderful once again.

Meanwhile, not a peep is being made about things like intravenous (IV) high-dose vitamin C, which is being successfully used in other countries to stem the tide of infections without the need for new drugs and vaccines.

By omission, nutrition is pointless

Speaking of natural approaches to overcoming the Wuhan coronavirus (COVID-19) that are being systematically ignored by the mainstream media and most in politics, have you heard anyone mention the importance of nutrition in all of this? We did not think so, and this is intentional.

Regular readers of this site over the years should know by now that the single-most important thing you need to do to stay healthy besides exercising regularly is to feed your body the nutrition it needs to naturally ward off illnesses, including those associated with the Wuhan coronavirus (COVID-19).

Research compiled by the Lewin Group reveals that nutritional remedies such as calcium, vitamin D, folate, omega-3 fatty acids, lutein, zeaxanthin, and more all play a critical role in fortifying the immune system, which, if properly nourished, should have little problem fending off disease.

Continue Reading

Chat

Technologie21 heures ago

Service de traduction de documents PDF en ligne en toute simplicité et abordable – Protranslate est disponible 24 heures par jour et est offert en plus de 60 langues

Anglais2 mois ago

These US entities partnered with the Wuhan Institute of Virology — time for a criminal investigation?

Anglais2 mois ago

New U.S. analysis finds that lab in Wuhan, China was “most likely” origin of coronavirus release

Anglais2 mois ago

The biggest media lies about the coronavirus: Origins, treatments and vaccines

Actualités2 mois ago

Andrew Scheer demande une mise à jour économique d’ici l’été

Actualités2 mois ago

Plusieurs tours cellulaires incendiées au cours des derniers jours

Actualités2 mois ago

Danemark: le déconfinement ne semble pas avoir accéléré la propagation de la COVID-19

Actualités2 mois ago

Le maire de Joliette peu rassuré par le déconfinement en cours

Actualités2 mois ago

Un homme de 61 ans tué à l’arme blanche à Montréal

Actualités2 mois ago

Pas de déconfinement pour les commerces de Kahnawake

Actualités2 mois ago

Quel avenir pour les restos-bars sportifs?

Actualités2 mois ago

Éclosions de COVID-19 à l’Hôpital Pierre-Boucher de Longueuil

Anglais2 mois ago

Nobel Prize winner who discovered HIV says coronavirus was definitely released from Wuhan lab, contains HIV DNA

Anglais2 mois ago

Must-see infographic: The “Death Science” Depopulation Trifecta … Biological weapons, vaccines and 5G, all aimed at humanity

Anglais2 mois ago

Dead coronavirus victims found stacked in U-haul trucks in front of New York City funeral home

Anglais2 mois ago

Bill and Melinda Gates are preppers: Couple began storing food in their home years ago in case of a pandemic

Anglais2 mois ago

Nearly half of severe coronavirus cases involve neurological complications

Anglais2 mois ago

Global survey of deaths reveals coronavirus kills 10% of those diagnosed with symptoms, making it 100 times deadlier than flu

Anglais2 mois ago

Homeland security scientist confirms that natural sunlight kills coronavirus

Anglais2 mois ago

Big Pharma is rigging everything to make sure approved coronavirus “treatments” don’t actually work at all, while things that do work are discredited or criminalized

Anglais2 années ago

Body found after downtown Lethbridge apartment building fire, police investigating – Lethbridge

Styles De Vie2 années ago

Salon du chocolat 2018: les 5 temps forts

Anglais2 années ago

27 CP Rail cars derail near Lake Louise, Alta.

Anglais2 années ago

Man facing eviction from family home on Toronto Islands gets reprieve — for now

Santé Et Nutrition2 années ago

Gluten-Free Muffins

Anglais1 année ago

This B.C. woman’s recipe is one of the most popular of all time — and the story behind it is bananas

Santé Et Nutrition2 années ago

We Try Kin Euphorics and How to REALLY Get the Glow | Healthyish

Anglais1 année ago

Ontario’s Tories hope Ryan Gosling video will keep supporters from breaking up with the party

Anglais1 année ago

A photo taken on Toronto’s Corso Italia 49 years ago became a family legend. No one saw it — until now

Anglais2 années ago

Condo developer Thomas Liu — who collected millions but hasn’t built anything — loses court fight with Town of Ajax

Styles De Vie2 années ago

Renaud Capuçon, rédacteur en chef du Figaroscope

Anglais1 année ago

This couple shares a 335-square-foot micro condo on Queen St. — and loves it

Mode2 années ago

Paris : chez Cécile Roederer co-fondatrice de Smallable

Anglais2 années ago

Ontario Tories argue Trudeau’s carbon plan is ‘unconstitutional’

Anglais2 années ago

100 years later, Montreal’s Black Watch regiment returns to Wallers, France

Anglais2 années ago

Trudeau government would reject Jason Kenney, taxpayers group in carbon tax court fight

Technologie1 année ago

YouTube recommande de la pornographie juvénile, allègue un internaute

Styles De Vie1 année ago

Ford Ranger Raptor, le pick-up roule des mécaniques

Affaires1 année ago

Le Forex devient de plus en plus accessible aux débutants

Anglais1 année ago

Province’s push for private funding, additional stops puts Scarborough subway at risk of delays

Trending