Salvation Army sets $160K goal for Christmas kettle campaign in Guelph – Guelph

[ad_1]

The Salvation Army has set a goal of raising $160,000 for its annual Christmas kettle campaign in Guelph this year.

It’s the same target as last year’s campaign, but the organization fell short, raising about $135,000.


READ MORE:
City of Guelph looking for feedback on pedestrian bridge

“We’re confident we’ll make it this year,” said Beverleigh Broughton, the community and family services co-ordinator with the Salvation Army in Guelph.

The money collected goes toward filling hampers with food for local families in need and Broughton said the goal is based on how many hampers they expect to send out.

“Last year we did 1,045 food hampers and this year we’re doing 1,120,” she said. “That increase is based on the trend we’ve seen through the year and what we feel the need will likely be for this Christmas.”

She added that the number of hampers has been well over 1,000 for several years now.

“We’re seeing more and more people work really hard who just can’t quite make ends meet, especially at Christmas.”

The kettles, which will collect donations until Dec. 24, will be scattered around the city at Stone Road Mall, Walmart on Woodlawn Road and all Zehrs locations.


READ MORE:
Canada’s new $10 bill featuring Viola Desmond officially enters circulation

In December, kettles will be set up at all LCBO locations and Costco.

There are also drop-off sites for toys at Stone Road Mall, Walmart, Guelph Toyota, any of the fire stations in Guelph, and the Salvation Army building on Gordon Street.

© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

[ad_2]

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Crime Stoppers of Guelph-Wellington bring home 5 awards from international conference – Guelph

[ad_1]

Crime Stoppers Guelph-Wellington has brought home a record number of awards from the organization’s international conference in The Hague, Netherlands.

For the second year in a row, the Guelph-Wellington chapter received the most awards at the international recognition ceremony.


READ MORE:
Family wanted in Guelph mall theft

Guelph-Wellington was recognized for Best Special Report/Feature in Television and Best Special Report/Feature in Radio.

The other three awards received by CSGW included a prize for Best Website (www.csgw.tips) due to its breadth and diversity of content. The local chapter also was recognized for Best Digital Platform for their creative local content on social media and their ongoing work on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Youtube.


READ MORE:
‘Treat it like alcohol’: Guelph police offer cannabis tips for drivers

The fifth and final award was for Special Project for a Program for their It Takes A Village – Crimes Against Youth project.

All of these awards were in the under 300,000 population category and were received on behalf of CSGW by Canadian Crime Stoppers president David Forster during the conference between Oct. 28. and Oct. 31.


READ MORE:
Guelph beers win big at Ontario Brewing Awards

Deryck West, vice-chair of the CSGW board of directors said in a press release: “We are extremely happy, and proud, that CSGW has been recognized by Crime Stoppers International with these awards, but more importantly, we are happy that the communities we partner with share in these accomplishments.”

CSGW received the most awards of any program at the conference in 2018, upping the total from three last year.

© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

[ad_2]

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Guelph man charged with stealing $880 worth of beer, groceries – Guelph

[ad_1]

Guelph police have laid charges against a Guelph man after a grocery store was robbed of $880 worth of beer and other goods on multiple occasions.


READ MORE:
Guelph-area golf course general manager charged with theft

Police say they were called to a business on Paisley Road Thursday after receiving word from loss prevention officers about a man allegedly stealing over $400 worth of beer and other items.

Officers responded to the store and arrested a suspect.

Loss prevention then alerted police that the same man was spotted allegedly stealing on a couple of other occasions earlier in the week including a $430 haul on Wednesday that included beer and meat, along with a $50 haul of beer the day before.


READ MORE:
Guelph police seek suspect in Wal-Mart shoplifting incident

The 43-year old Guelph man is facing three counts of theft under $5,000 and will appear in court on Dec. 4.

© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

[ad_2]

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Three people dead after Guelph, Ont., area crash

[ad_1]

ROCKWOOD, Ont. – Provincial police say two more people involved in a collision near Guelph, Ont., have died, bringing the number of dead to three.

They say the crash occurred near the community of Rockwood, Ont., just east of Guelph, around 8:30 p.m. on Saturday.

Investigators say a passenger in one of the vehicles died at the scene, while the driver of the vehicle and another passenger were critically injured.

But on Sunday morning, Sgt. Kerry Schmidt tweeted that the crash was now a triple-fatality.

Police said the driver of the second vehicle wasn’t hurt.

No other information about the accident was immediately released.

It was the second highway tragedy in southern Ontario in less than 24 hours, the other happening northeast of Toronto.

Provincial police reported early Saturday morning that an SUV crossed into oncoming traffic in Port Perry, Ont., and collided head-on with a car.

Three people in the car — a 59-year-old man and two women aged 55 and 44 — were killed, and a 41-year-old woman who was also in the vehicle suffered critical injuries. The 68-year-old man driving the SUV was being treated for serious injuries.

At the start of the long weekend Ontario Provincial Police warned that officers would be out in force looking for aggressive, distracted and impaired drivers, as well as seatbelt violators.

[ad_2]

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Guelph Fire Department puts new ‘Avenger’ pumper truck into service – Guelph

[ad_1]

It looks like something from the Transformer film series and is even called the “Avenger” by the manufacturer, but it’s just the latest addition to the Guelph Fire Department’s fleet.

The brand new pumper was received about a month ago from Rosenbauer America in Minnesota and was put into service this week.


READ MORE:
Guelph firefighters investigating 2 morning blazes

Chief John Osborne says the truck is already getting some looks.

“A lot of people are pulling over and taking pictures, and coming in and asking about it,” he said.

“It is a whole new design that Rosenbauer America has brought out.”

Even with the sleek look, the fire truck is shorter from front to back and comes with a tighter steering radius, Osborne added.

He said that was important for Guelph.

“It allows us to get into the areas within the community that are a little bit smaller because intensification is the way we’re moving towards now and we needed a truck that was capable of getting into the smaller areas,” Osborne explained.

The truck also comes with a 360-degree camera system, it has about 20-25 per cent more storage space and it can hold an extra 1,000 litres of water compared to other pumper trucks.

Older trucks carry can carry just under 1,900 litres of water, whereas the Avenger model can carry almost 3,000 litres.

Osborne said the extra water allows firefighters to tackle fires more quickly.

“It does give us a lot more flexibility as far as how much of a fire we can put out and it also saves time because the crew doesn’t have to grab a hydrant,” he said.


READ MORE:
Stretch of Hanlon Expwy. closing for 3 months in Guelph

The truck was purchased for $740,000, but Osborne said about $100,000 was saved because it was meant to be one of Rosenbauer’s demonstration trucks.

The purchase was covered through the city’s 2017 capital budget.

The fire department’s fleet currently consists of nine pumper trucks, one aerial truck and one tanker truck. The new truck is replacing a pumper that is reaching the end of its life cycle and will soon be put up for auction.

Osborne said their next purchase will most likely be made in 2020.

© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

[ad_2]

Source link

قالب وردپرس