Health Canada is warning that products sold by ayurvedic clinics in B.C. and Ontario may pose serious health risks, after some were found to contain lead and mercury.
An advisory issued Monday said inspectors had seized products, ingredients and equipment from A1 Herbal Ayurvedic Clinic Ltd. in Surrey, B.C., and from an affiliated clinic in Brampton, Ont.
« The seizures came after the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control informed Health Canada of a case of heavy metal toxicity involving a patient who was using products from the Surrey clinic, » Health Canada said.
« Laboratory testing identified lead and mercury in the products. »
Lead and mercury are heavy metals that may pose serious health risks when consumed in excessive amounts. Children, pregnant women and breastfeeding women are particularly susceptible.
Symptoms of lead poisoning include:
- Headaches/irritability/ slowed thinking
- Stomach pain
None of the seized health products are authorized for sale by the federal regulator. Selling unauthorized health products is illegal in Canada.
Health Canada is warning against using all products by A1 Herbal Ayurvedic Clinic.
The BCCDC advises discarding all products by the clinic, and seeing a physician if you have used any of the products and are concerned about your health.
Ayurvedic products are used in traditional Indian healing practice and are often imported from India.
While many products can be used safely, improper manufacturing processes may result in dangerously high levels of heavy metals in the final product, health officials say.