SNL Weekend Update makes light of Canadian nursing home bingo brawl – National

[ad_1]

A fight at a Canadian nursing home during a bingo game was picked up by this weekend’s episode of Saturday Night Live.

“A massive brawl broke out at a Canadian nursing home after a 79-year-old woman took an 86-year-old woman’s seat at their bingo game,” Weekend Update host Michael Che joked.


READ MORE:
‘Bingo brawl’ erupts between seniors over seating

“It’s the first brawl that began with everybody in critical condition,” he said.

The fight broke out at a long-term care facility in Rideau Lakes Township this past Tuesday at around 1 p.m. after two women, 79 and 86, had a disagreement over seating arrangements.

The Rideau Lakes OPP detachment was called to the facility after the dispute broke into a full-out brawl involving several members of the residence.

Police said there were no serious injuries and no charges were laid after a thorough investigation.

 

Global News

Help us improve GlobalNews.ca

© 2019 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

[ad_2]

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Former St. Mike’s students in court for sex assault case as police update media on investigation

[ad_1]

The case of six former St. Michael’s College School students facing criminal charges in connection with a cellphone video shared on social media showing the sexual assault of another student in a locker room returned to a Toronto court Wednesday morning.

Meanwhile, Toronto police say they will update the media on the police investigation into ongoing allegations of assault and sexual assault at the school at 11:30 a.m.

Police last week revealed they are investigating a total of eight incidents at the school.

The six boys are each charged with sexual assault with a weapon, gang sexual assault and assault. All were granted bail at a court hearing in November. Their identities are protected under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

The Crown in court Wednesday said she has not yet finished vetting the evidence that must be disclosed to the defence, including videos that require redaction. She noted some of the disclosure requires judicial authorization to release — likely in part because police have said the video connected to the charges is considered child pornography.

The court appearance comes as police investigate eight incidents at the prestigious, private all-boys school. Police have released limited information about the incidents, but they include two alleged sexual assaults, three alleged assaults and one incident related to threatening.

Last week, the school announced that members of a “respect and culture review” committee will examine the school’s culture and policies relayed to physical, verbal and sexual abuse, including hazing.

The school’s interim principal also announced the cancellation of the varsity basketball season for this school year and the junior and varsity football seasons for the 2019-2020 academic year.

Lawyers appeared in court on behalf of two of the boys on Wednesday.

The boys are scheduled to return to court Jan. 28.

[ad_2]

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Flour, frozen fruit get increased subsidies in major Nutrition North update

[ad_1]

Diapers, macaroni, spaghetti, dried beans and frozen french fries are among the new items now going to be subsidized under the Nutrition North program, the federal government announced today in Iqaluit.

Frozen fruits and vegetables, milk, infant food and formula, and bannock-making ingredients — flour, cooking oils, butter and lard — will also receive higher subsidies as part of the long-awaited changes to the program.

Most of the changes derived from feedback the government received during its 2016 consultation tour of 18 northern communities, in which northerners griped about how the current food list was developed through a southern lens, and didn’t take into account local diets.

Northerners asked for flour to receive a higher subsidy, in order to ease the cost of making bannock, along with other staples like rice, pasta, coffee, tea and other nutritious dried foods.

As part of the higher subsidies, the government has created a new category, officially designated as the « targeted (highest) » subsidy level. On the list is frozen fruits and vegetables, fresh milk, and infant food and formula.

The two other subsidy levels will also receive a boost, with the « higher » level increasing by at least $0.15 per kilogram in all eligible communities. The « lower » level rates will increase to $1.00 per kilogram in 76 communities where the rate was less than $1.00 per kilogram before.

The increase to the lower levels will make a big difference in some Northern Ontario communities, where subsidies were around $0.05 per kilogram.

The program, launched in 2011, provides subsidies on shipping to retailers on a list of products the government deems to be nutritious or essential.

The government is also expected to tighten up the eligibility criteria for retailers to receive Nutrition North subsidies, while also putting money toward helping smaller retailers meet their reporting requirements under the program — larger retailers show subsidy amounts on receipts at the checkout counter.

Other changes to the program include more flexibility for paying for personal orders — the 2016 consultations revealed concerns for northerners who don’t have credit cards — as well as providing funding for smaller retailers to meet the program’s reporting requirements, like showing the subsidy savings on receipts.

The government said it will also support communities who can get cut off from the south during the year, allowing them to be eligible for a subsidy on an expanded list of food and non-food items.

Labrador MP Yvonne Jones, the parliamentary secretary to Northern Affairs Minister Dominic LeBlanc, in Iqaluit in May. (Nick Murray/CBC)

The long-awaited updates to the $100-million program are the first major changes to Nutrition North under the Liberal government, aside from when it added 37 more northern communities to the program in October 2016.

During a funding announcement in Iqaluit in May, Labrador MP Yvonne Jones said « a new program around food security » would be announced in the following months.

The updates also come on the heels of a federal funding boost from the government’s fall economic statement last month, which committed to boosting Nutrition North’s budget by $11 million to $14 million starting in 2019/20, and the addition of a harvesters’ support grant program to help offset the costs of traditional hunting.

A sign at the Iqaluit Northmart in October assures customers that the Nutrition North subsidies are passed on to the customers. There have long been concerns over the program’s transparency. (Nick Murray/CBC News)

New Inuit to Crown working group

Another key change on the Nutrition North file is the announced creation of an Inuit to Crown working group, which will focus on food security.

The move is in response to criticisms from Inuit leaders, who complained the federal government was not listening to Inuit in reviewing Nutrition North. Those concerns came to a head in April, when all Inuit regions left the government’s Indigenous working group on food security, in protest.

At the time, Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami president Natan Obed wrote to then-northern affairs minister Carolyn Bennett that the consultation structure of the Indigenous working group did not embody an approach that recognizes the specific needs of Inuit.

This new Inuit to Crown working group will be separate from the Indigenous working group, which will continue its consultation mandate with First Nations and Métis groups.

[ad_2]

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Morneau to outline plan to boost business competitiveness in fiscal update

[ad_1]

Finance Minister Bill Morneau will deliver an update on the country’s finances today and outline his plan to keep Canada competitive as the U.S. takes bold steps to lure investment and boost business growth.

Morneau is expected to stress that Canada’s economy is strong overall — but faces competitive challenges from the deep tax cuts and regulatory reforms brought in by U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration.

Business groups have been pressing the federal government to cut tax rates. The government is expected instead to opt for targeted reforms meant to boost productivity, such as better tax incentives for companies that buy new equipment and invest in productivity.

Morneau will deliver his update at 4 p.m. in the House of Commons; opposition leaders will offer their reactions afterward. CBCNews.ca will carry it all live.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said today his government has been working hard to grow the economy and its efforts are showing « real results. »

« We’re going to continue our plan to help the middle class and those working hard to join it and support businesses as we move forward, » he said.

Trudeau said today’s statement will be focused on boosting competitiveness and reaping benefits from trade deals signed and advanced in recent years.

There are also signs the statement will offer support for struggling media companies, measures to boost trade between Canadian provinces and efforts to diversify international markets beyond the U.S.

The Conservatives have been pressing the Liberals for a timeline on returning the federal budget to balance. Today’s fiscal update is not expected to offer a target date for eliminating the deficit.

The Liberals’ 2015 election campaign platform promised to clear the deficit by 2019 and to refrain from deficits higher than $10 billion — but this year’s budget forecast a deficit of about $18.1 billion for this fiscal year.

Today’s statement sets the stage for next year’s critical federal budget — the Trudeau government’s last before the 2019 election campaign.

CBC News Network will have special coverage of Morneau’s statement starting at 4 p.m. ET, followed by a special edition of Power & Politics from 5-7 p.m. ET.

With files from the CBC’s David Cochrane

[ad_2]

Source link

قالب وردپرس

TSB update on fatal mid-air crash in Ottawa

[ad_1]

The Transportation Safety Board is holding a news conference to provide updates on a fatal mid-air collision between two small planes in Ottawa’s west end on Sunday.

Watch the news conference above starting at 11 a.m. ET.

The collision between a Cessna 150 and a twin-engine Piper Cheyenne took place shortly after 10 a.m. over the community of Carp.

The Cessna 150 crashed in a wooded area near McGee Side Road, killing the pilot, who has not been identified.

The Piper plane landed safely at the Ottawa International Airport. The pilot told air traffic controllers he had been involved in a collision.

[ad_2]

Source link

قالب وردپرس