Connect with us

Anglais

Former Ford aide who resigned says ‘everyone has the right to live and work free of harassment’

Published

on


A former top staffer for Ontario Premier Doug Ford has admitted his conduct was « unacceptable » in a statement Thursday, and says « everyone has the right to live and work free from harassment. » 

Andrew Kimber abruptly resigned from his role last Friday, the same day Economic Development Minister Jim Wilson departed following an allegation of sexual misconduct. 

Coming forward for the first time since the news broke, Kimber said « I take full responsibility for my behaviour » and added he stepped down to « deal with these issues. » CBC News has not confirmed what the allegation against Kimber is and whether it’s true. 

In a statement posted to Twitter on Thursday, Kimber said: « I’m sorry for those who I have hurt. I’m also sorry to my friends and colleagues in the Ford government and the disservice I brought to the office. »

When pressed by reporters to confirm Wednesday that Kimber left because of a sexual misconduct allegation, Ford did not dispute the claim and said « he lasted about a minute when we found out. » 

Read Kimber’s full statement here:

Wilson resigned from cabinet and Tory caucus last Friday, announcing he would seek treatment for addiction issues. 

Ford said his government has launched an investigation into the allegations against both Kimber and Wilson, telling reporters Wednesday: « I have zero tolerance for this behaviour. »

Wilson accused of sexually inappropriate behaviour

Wilson’s resignation was triggered when, according to three PC Party sources, a staffer made an allegation against Wilson of sexually inappropriate behaviour. CBC News has not confirmed whether the allegation is true and has been unable to reach Wilson for comment.

Initially, the premier’s office said nothing about the sexual misconduct allegation against Wilson. That information emerged on Monday after Ford reshuffled his cabinet behind closed doors. He later clarified that Wilson was forced to resign. 

However, when asked Wednesday about the secrecy surrounding the departure of Wilson and Kimber, the premier said his government is protecting the people who came forward. 

Ford said the people who made the allegations asked him repeatedly not to alert the media to the story.

« I commend them for coming forward and having that courage, » Ford said, adding that he’s respecting the request.

« They’re a priority. They trump the media. »



Source link

قالب وردپرس

Anglais

Administrators won’t remove camera pointed at school bathrooms

Published

on

By


Education officials in Cape Breton are refusing to remove a video camera pointed at the entrance of two student bathrooms, despite objections from Nova Scotia’s privacy commissioner.

The camera was one of several at the Rankin School of the Narrows in Iona that was streaming live images to the internet last year because no one set the password on the surveillance system.

« Based on the evidence we have, it is not an authorized collection of personal information, so it isn’t in compliance with the law, » said Catherine Tully, Nova Scotia’s information and privacy commissioner.

Insecam.org, a Russian-registered website, accessed the unsecured webcam and broadcast a live stream of the boys’ bathroom entrance until CBC News alerted school officials in May 2017.

One of the cameras was pointed at the school’s water fountain. (CBC)

The Cape Breton-Victoria Regional Centre for Education declined an interview Wednesday and would not comment specifically on the bathroom camera. However, a spokesperson said in an email that staff have since secured all surveillance cameras behind firewalls.

Michelle MacLeod also said the education centre has strengthened passwords, developed new privacy policies and boosted staff training on the issue.

« We are committed to taking the steps necessary to protect personal information while balancing our responsibility to ensure student safety and security, » she said.

But Tully said the need for a camera pointed at the bathroom entrances has not been established.

« Taking video of children going in and out of a bathroom seems to me more sensitive than a lot of other places you could put a camera, » Tully said.

Catherine Tully is Nova Scotia’s information and privacy commissioner. Unlike in some other provinces, Tully’s recommendations are not binding. (CBC)

After Tully recommended removing the bathroom camera in October 2017, school officials adjusted the camera so that it also points at the entrance to the girls’ bathroom.

« That just made it worse, » said Tully. « That’s the bottom line. It was a problem on the boys’ and now it’s twice the problem. »

Recommendations made by the province’s information and privacy commissioner are not binding unlike in some other provinces, including Quebec, Ontario, Alberta, British Columbia and Prince Edward Island.

Tully believes the school bathroom camera is an example of why the legislation needs to change.

« My strong recommendation to the government is that it’s time to modernize the law, and that it’s time to give this review power some teeth behind it so that it’s effective. »

Tully said if she had enforcement powers under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, the school bathroom camera wouldn’t last.

« It would come down, » she said.



Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

Anglais

Ontario’s child protection association names first Black CEO

Published

on

By


Ontario’s child protection system — a sector struggling to address anti-Black racism and the overrepresentation of African Canadian children in foster care and group homes — has appointed its first Black chief executive officer.

Nicole Bonnie, director of diversity and anti-oppression at the Children’s Aid Society of Toronto, will take the helm of the Ontario Association of Children’s Aid Societies (OACAS) in January.

Her appointment to the association that represents the province’s 47 children’s aid societies comes in the wake of an ongoing Star investigation into kids in care and last summer’s uproar over the Toronto society’s decision to hire a CEO with seemingly no experience in child protection or previous work in the area of diversity.

Bonnie, who previously worked at the Peel Children’s Aid Society, is replacing Mary Ballantyne who is retiring.

Her appointment “is very welcome and exciting news for us,” said Caroline Newton of the OACAS.

Bonnie, who is out of the country, said in a statement to the Star she is “honoured” to lead the association.

“Child Welfare in Ontario is changing in fundamental ways,” she said. “We are listening to the families and communities we serve, and reimagining child welfare in a way that supports them to thrive.”

She said she wants “to help build a child welfare system based on the pillars of respect and empowerment, reconciliation, equity and belonging, and consistent and excellent services across the province.”

The appointment also comes as more than 300 Black children’s aid workers from across the province gather in Toronto this week to discuss the sector’s efforts to fight anti-Black racism and the challenges faced by front-line staff.

“Black people who work in child welfare are often seen by the community as traitors or as not standing up for Black people,” said Kike Ojo, manager of One Vision One Voice (OVOV), a provincially funded program of the OACAS.

“But it’s just not true. People who work on the inside are often fighting like hell to make things better for Black people,” said Ojo, whose initiative is sponsoring the two-day symposium.

Of the province’s 11,000 child welfare workers, about 1,000 — or 10 per cent — are Black, Ojo said.

She said she hopes the symposium, the first of its kind, will be the beginning of a formal network of Black child protection workers in Ontario who can support one another as they push for change from the inside.

“I want to shine a light on why there is so little progress and what it’s like for people on the inside who are change agents,” she said. “I am trying to create protections for them.”

Black workers who advocate for Black families are often criticized by their superiors as being “biased” or “unprofessional,” Ojo said.

“The pushback is incredible. It has cost many workers promotions because they are seen as disruptive,” she said.

“In 13 years of senior leadership in the sector, I have never heard that said of a white worker — that they are being biased or unprofessional in their dealings with a white family,” she said. “This is just one of the forms that anti-Black racism takes.”

Jean Samuel, the OACAS’s first director of diversity, equity and inclusion said Bonnie’s appointment will “give hope” to Black workers in the system.

“It really is going to help Black staff feel their voices can be accepted and embraced to help reimagine the work that we need to do,” said Samuel, who was at the symposium Wednesday.

“Nicole is the first Black CEO in our sector. She’s also a Black female,” Samuel said. “It shows there’s a future for child welfare that is going to look and feel a lot different than it has historically.”

This week’s meeting of Black staff follows a similar gathering of Black youth in care who met in Toronto last summer to share their experiences.

If provincial funding ends, Ojo said she hopes the sector will continue to support annual gatherings for both youth and staff.

The OVOV initiative was launched in January 2015 to address the overrepresentation of Black children in the care of children’s aid societies, a problem highlighted in a 2014 Star investigation and most recently by Ontario’s Human Rights Commission.

According to the latest statistics released by the Toronto society, 32 per cent of children admitted into care in 2017-18 were Black while they represent just 8 per cent of city residents under age 18.

A report by Ontario’s Human Rights Commission last spring found Black children were overrepresented in 30 per cent of CASs, an admission rate 2.2 times higher than their proportion in the child population.

The commission called on societies to improve data collection and increase efforts to address anti-Black racism within their internal policies and structures.

Laurie Monsebraaten is a Toronto-based reporter covering social justice. Follow her on Twitter: @lmonseb



Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

Anglais

Police in Kingston looking for victims of alleged child predator – Kingston

Published

on

By


Investigators in Kingston believe there may be more victims in a child pornography investigation.

A 43-year-old Kingston man is facing several child pornography-related charges.

It stems from a Facebook message, sent to a young girl last month. Police said the accused commented on how cute her Facebook photo was. Police allege a few days later, the accused sent messages that were of a sexual nature. The victim contacted police.


READ MORE:
Kingston man, 50, charged with sharing child pornography

On Tuesday, 43-year-old Robert John Burns was arrested after police and the Internet Child and Exploitation Unit or ICE executed a search warrant at a home in the region.

Burns is facing several child pornography-related charges including making and possessing child pornography and attempting to meet with a person under 16 years of age to commit a sexual offence.

Police are concerned that Burns may have had access or contact with other children as well.

Anyone with information regarding the accused having contact with a child is asked to contact Det. Paul Robb at 613-549-4660 ext. 6383.

© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.



Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

Chat

Affaires9 minutes ago

Facebook se défend après une virulente mise en cause du New York Times

Anglais11 minutes ago

Administrators won’t remove camera pointed at school bathrooms

Actualités42 minutes ago

Legault refuse de rendre gratuits les examens médicaux au privé | MARTIN CROTEAU ET HUGO PILON-LAROSE

Opinions55 minutes ago

État de droit, démocratie et populisme

Affaires1 heure ago

BDC: 240 millions en «prêts express» en un an | Karim Benessaieh

Anglais1 heure ago

Ontario’s child protection association names first Black CEO

Actualités2 heures ago

Un tunnel sous Sainte-Catherine pour limiter les chantiers ? | Pierre-André Normandin

Styles De Vie2 heures ago

Lanvin remercie Lucas Ossendrijver

Opinions2 heures ago

Pénurie de main-d’œuvre et retraités

Affaires2 heures ago

Véhicules électriques: terminés, les longs délais de livraison | Yvon Laprade

Anglais2 heures ago

Police in Kingston looking for victims of alleged child predator – Kingston

Actualités3 heures ago

Des «trolls» russes ont attaqué le Canada | Vincent Larouche et Philippe Teisceira-Lessard

Styles De Vie3 heures ago

Oxygen, le nouvel espace gourmand qui aère La Défense

Arts Et Spectacles3 heures ago

Guillaume Senez et Nos batailles: nouvel équilibre | Marc-André Lussier

Opinions3 heures ago

De la nécessité du retour du vrac dans les grandes surfaces

Anglais3 heures ago

Rape victim worries man using sexsomnia defence will be found not criminally responsible

Actualités4 heures ago

Le Québec, paradis du «pot» bon marché

Opinions4 heures ago

Bernard Landry aimait l’Académie | Le Devoir

Affaires4 heures ago

Sico cessera ses activités au Québec | TOMMY CHOUINARD

Anglais4 heures ago

Doug Ford dodges questions about Ontario Power Generation firing

Santé Et Nutrition3 semaines ago

Gluten-Free Muffins

Styles De Vie1 mois ago

Renaud Capuçon, rédacteur en chef du Figaroscope

Mode1 mois ago

Kid’s collections : Little Hedonist

Anglais1 mois ago

No federal party will turn back the clock on the legalization of marijuana

Santé Et Nutrition2 mois ago

3 fois par jour – Desserts: le casse-tête sucré de Marilou | Sophie Ouimet

Affaires2 mois ago

Pas de grève cette semaine à Postes Canada

Technologie1 mois ago

Le nombre de morts par égoportrait ne cesse d’augmenter dans le monde

Actualités3 semaines ago

Le fils aîné de Tony Accurso meurt dans une embardée | Daniel Renaud et Vincent Larouche

Actualités4 semaines ago

Cannabis: tolérance zéro pour les policiers de Longueuil | Pierre-André Normandin

Mode2 semaines ago

W.I.M.A.M.P, la capsule responsable de Bobo Choses 2018

Affaires2 mois ago

Taxes sur les importations: Pékin riposte à Washington

Anglais2 mois ago

Condo developer Thomas Liu — who collected millions but hasn’t built anything — loses court fight with Town of Ajax

Anglais2 mois ago

3rd tornado hit eastern Ontario last week, says Environment Canada

Actualités1 mois ago

La souveraineté est toujours nécessaire, dit Bernard Landry | Denis Lessard

Styles De Vie4 semaines ago

Motorhell Master, l’exclusivité à la française

Anglais2 mois ago

Ontario government to increase mercury disability payments to affected First Nations

Anglais3 semaines ago

Police presence in Jewish communities across Canada to be increased following Pittsburgh shooting – National

Mode2 mois ago

Have A Nice Day | Hello it’s Valentine

Santé Et Nutrition2 mois ago

Un lien découvert entre l’eczéma et… la flore intestinale

Actualités2 mois ago

ALENA: «Le Québec sera sacrifié pour protéger l’Ontario», prévient Lisée | MARTIN CROTEAU

Trending